demolition.jpgHowever this process must be carried out in compliance to the Ontario Building code and the applicable by-laws to protect the integrity of the property and ensure that minimum damage is caused to any existing services. The process is similar to that for a building permit; although a Utility Notification Form will need to be submitted, and in some cases you may need to hire a professional engineer to oversee the demolition.

Do I need a permit?

A demolition permit is required to demolish any building that is larger than 10 square metres (108 sq.ft.) or any part of a building that is attached to an existing structure. A permit is not required for the demolition of a farm building provided it is associated with and located on land devoted to the practice of farming and does not contain residential occupancy.

To submit and application for a demolition permit, please ensure you have the following documentation:

  • A complete Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish

  • Acknowledgement of the disconnection of services (utilities, gas, television, cable, etc.) provided through the Utility Notification Shut-Off form

  • Site Plan that clearly outlines the proposed demolition (If applicable)

After the permit is issued by a Building Official, the demolition can commence. Once the demolition is complete, and the site is properly graded, the owner/agent is required to schedule an inspection of the Final Grading with the Building Official. The inspection can be requested by calling Building Development services as 519-360-1998.

Will I need to hire a professional engineer?

An applicant is required to retain a professional engineer to undertake the general review of the project during demolition if;

  • The building exceeds 3 storeys in building height or 600m2 in building area

  • The building structure includes pre-tensioned or post-tensioned members

  • It is proposed that the demolition will extend below the level of the footings of any adjacent building and occur within the angle of repose of the soil, as drawn from the bottom of such footings

  • Explosives or a laser or planned to be used during the course of demolition

If the building in question meets this criteria and requires an engineer's review, a General Review Commitment Certificate must be submitted prior to the permit being issued.

*If you have any questions about a proposed project, give us a call at 519-360-1998 for some assistance with the process.