The Municipality of Chatham-Kent has established the Small Business Grant Recovery Program to provide a grant of up to $5,000 to immediately assist small businesses who have been adversely affected in their revenue streams by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Chatham-Kent Municipal Council and Administration recognizes the intense and severe financial hardship that has crippled small businesses due to the need for Public Health restrictions to slow the spread of COVID-19.
This Recovery Grant is intended to assist small business owners in their immediate needs to prepare their small business, store or restaurant in order to protect employees and staff members as they reopen for business.
The grant fund pool is $200,000 with available grants for businesses of up to $5,000. Depending on the demand for this grant, amounts may be lower but equal for all successful applicants.
- Businesses must be located in Chatham-Kent;
- Business annual sales must be less than $5 million;
- Business has been adversely affected due to COVID-19 pandemic and were not experiencing financial hardship prior to March 17th, 2020;
- Applicants have been unable to access other forms of relief or supports, or were ineligible;
- Business has not previously claimed bankruptcy or if so, when and proof of discharge can be provided;
- Business is not party to any outstanding claims or lawsuits;
- Business must pay commercial taxes or rent;
- Is a sole proprietorship, partnership or a corporation where the applicant is a majority; shareholder (if incorporated and grant funding is in personal name); OR a not-for-profit or registered charity;
- Is a not- for- profit or other registered charity;
- If applicant owns multiple businesses, only one of the businesses may apply be eligible for the grant;
- Locally owned franchises are eligible should they meet all other criteria;
- Maintains a separate business bank account separate from personal finances, follows government rules and regulations for operating a business.
Businesses not eligible:
- Corporate franchises, commissioned sales and distributorships;
- Multi-level marketing ventures;
- Previous recipients of other government relief or supports;
- Single events such as musical ventures, bands, DJs or dance/party event organizations.
- Applications will be accepted beginning Thursday, July 2nd until Thursday, July 16th, 2020
Requirements of Program:
- Business owners must provide proof that the business was established prior to March 17th, 2020 (prior to Provincial Emergency Order);
- Applicant must provide number of full-time and part-time employees;
- Applicant must be willing to have their business name published as a successful applicant;
- Successful applicants must be willing to provide a testimonial on the effectiveness of the grant on their business;
- Business owner must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Ontario;
- Proof of business establishment prior to March 17th, 2020;
- Business must provide the Municipality with proof that the business taxes are up to date as of March 1st, 2020;
- Applicants must provide purpose of grant funds: ho will it be used, what expenses will these monies be used towards;
- Successful applicants must sign a declaration that all information provided in the application is true and accurate;
- An audit may be performed by the Municipality of Chatham-Kent or any of its agents to ascertain the veracity of this attestation and the eligibility of the applicant under the program;
- Applicant may be required to provide documentation to support responses on the application;
- Providing false or misleading information will disqualify the applicant from this and any future related grant programs;
- Applications will be reviewed on a grant review committee. Economic Development Services will notify successful applicants.
If you have questions, or to submit additional required documentation, please contact Darlene Debeck: DARLENED@chatham-kent.ca, 519-351-7700 X2038.