Chatham-Kent Economic Development, in partnership with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) is pleased to announce a free Community Economic Development 101 workshop. The event is being held on April 17, 2019, at the Chatham Retro Suites at 2 King Street West in Chatham and will run from 9 a.m. to noon.
Community Economic Development (CED) is the process of fostering an environment that results in the creation of wealth and well-being for the benefit of the entire community. The CED approach recognizes that economic, environmental, and social challenges are interdependent, complex and ever-changing. This means that to be effective, solutions must be rooted in local knowledge, skills, and resources, and led by community members.
The workshop is focused on helping community leaders, local business owners, and volunteer agencies deepen their understanding of Community Economic Development. Attendees with learn the basics of CED and take away practical tools to help develop and implement a local strategy.
This fast paced, interactive, half-day workshop will help to directly inform a number of work priorities across Chatham-Kent and will seek to build on existing networks and community champions. During the session, participants will examines three key components of CED:
- Economic Wealth Generators in your community and how to attract more
- Economic loss and how to stop it
- CED support activities and associations in your community and how to connect with them
“Economic Development is not something that can be done in isolation, but rather requires an entire community approach,” said Stuart McFadden, Director of Chatham-Kent Economic Development Services. “We are looking forward to working with OMAFRA and our local partners to help further enhance our Community Economic Development strategies.”
To register for the event, please visit the Economic Development website at www.investck.ca.
Chatham-Kent Economic Development and the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs presents Community Economic Development 101
- You can register on Eventbrite at: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/omafra-community-economic-development-101-tickets-57128796769
- In the workshop we will discuss:
- The definition of CED
- Workforce Development
- Research and Marketing
- Policy and Legislation
- Community Revitalization
- Business Development
- Entrepreneurship and Small business and
- Investment Attraction
- The benefits of planning will be discussed and include:
- The efficient use of resources
- Follow through on stated priorities
- Community engagement
- Data sources to support your planning activities
- Learn more about Chatham-Kent Economic Development on our website: www.investck.ca
Marketing and Communications Officer, Economic Development Services
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
Phone: 519-352-8401 x2039