Chatham-Kent Zoning By-Law

Zoning By-laws establish and regulate the use of land by implementing the policies of the Municipality's Official Plan.

Consent (Severing Property)
The Planning Act requires that a consent must be granted before a parcel of land can be divided to create a new lot. This process is referred to as severing land and the type of consent given in this instance is a severance.

Building and Development

When submitting a planning application, the applicant should approach the Planning Services to engage in an informal discussion to explain the proposed application being contemplated.

Chatham-Kent Planning Services Department

The Planning Services Department is working on a number of different projects that will benefit our community.

Minor Variance

By-laws for each community contain regulations that apply to each identifying zone for permitted uses, building set backs and lot coverage. The Planning Act allows Council to establish a Committee of Adjustment to which property owners can apply when they require a "minor variance" or relief from the By-law regulations.