Accessible Transit Chatham
Chatham Specialized Transit Service is a personalized curb-to-curb transportation service for persons with a disability and the frail and elderly who are unable to board the Public Transit System.
Our service provider, Voyageur Transportation Services, is happy to answer any of your questions. Just call 519.436.3233.
The transit fare details are as follows:
- Fare: $3/one way trip
- Exact fare only
- Multi-ride ticket is available for purchase $60 for 20 tickets
- Payable upon entering the vehicle
Hours of Service
The hours of service are:
- Monday – Saturday - 6:15 a.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- Friday Evening - 6:00 p.m. to11:00 p.m.
- Sunday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What is the Chatham Specialized Transit Service?
This is a personalized curb-to-curb transportation service operating in the community of Chatham. You can use this service for the following purposes: employment, education, medical, personal, business, or leisure activities. Booking priorities follow the same order.
Who Can Use It?
Persons who are permanently disabled and/or confined to a wheelchair.
Persons who are temporarily disabled because of illness or injury (subject to review if service is still required after the expiration date, from a minimum of one month to a maximum of six months).
How Do I Register?
You can apply for the Chatham Specialized Transit Service by:
- Attending the Engineering & Transportation Division of Infrastructure and Engineering Services, Third Floor, Civic Centre (315 King Street West, Chatham) to pick up a form in person, or
- Telephone 519.360.1998 and request an application, or
- Print the application from the downloads section
The Application must:
- Be filled out by applicant, or designated person, giving reasons for request to use the Specialized Transit Service
- State if the application is to be permanent or temporary
- Be either signed by the applicant or signed on behalf of the applicant
- Be signed by attending doctor giving his/her medical reasons why applicant needs the use of the Specialized Transit Service
Please mail application to:
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
Engineering & Transportation Division
P.O. Box 640
315 King Street West
Chatham ON N7M 5K8
How to Book a Ride
You can book a ride by calling the CKtransit Access Bus at 519.436.3233.
Be sure to:
- Book your return trip at the same time
- Book appointments 24 hours in advance - trips are booked on a first-call, first-serve basis (keep in mind that the type of call will take priority)
Provide the following information:
- Your Name
- Exact address of pick-up and destination
- Desired time of pickup
- If you will be accompanied by an attendant
Can Someone Come With Me?
If you require an attendant to assist you on the CKtransit Access Bus, they travel free of charge.
Can I Cancel My Trip?
Please give 24 hours notice. Insufficient notice of cancellation, without good reason, may result in full-fare payment.
Will I Be Able to Get a Ride on a Regular Basis?
A standing arrangement for service is available for persons who are travelling at a regular time to and/or from a destination such as work, post-secondary school, or medical facility.
The following guidelines must be followed:
- Have exact fare ready
- Be ready five (5) minutes ahead of your scheduled time
- The Driver is not required to wait more than five (5) minutes past your appointed pick-up time
- If you must cancel, do it as far in advance as possible
- Be as flexible as possible in regards to your arrangements for a ride. Allow up to twenty (20) minutes wait from your scheduled pick-up time, especially in bad weather
- All passengers must wear seatbelts
- No smoking
Please call 519.360.1998 to let us know if you or someone you know no longer require the CKtransit Access Bus service.
CKtransit Access Bus is a Specialized Transit Service operated by The Municipality of Chatham-Kent.
The Specialized Transit Service is a much needed and well-received service that offers users the freedom and independence they deserve.
Specialized Transit Donation Program
We accept donations to help fund this program, so please take the time to review the donation program for the Chatham Specialized Transit Service (see downloads).