School Suspension Information
Your child must have a complete immunization record or a valid exemption on file with the Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit in order to attend school.
We are required by the Immunization of School Pupil’s Act RR. O 1990 Reg. 645 to ensure children attending school in Chatham-Kent are immunized.
To do this, we:
- Keep immunization records on every student attending school
- Review student records annually to ensure that each student’s vaccinations are up-to-date
- Make phone calls and send out letters requesting missing information or reminding parents to update required immunizations
- Issue school suspension notices until the required immunization information is received
Immunization is required in Ontario. However, some children may be exempt for the following:
- Medical reasons
- Religious or conscientious reasons
If you wish to have your child exempted, you must submit a completed Medical Exemption Form or Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit to us (forms attached under Useful Links on right side of page). Medical exemptions must be authorized by a physician. The Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit must be notarized. Only certain people are allowed to notarize these affidavits.
To request an exemption form or your immunization record, please call us at 519.355.1071 ext. 5900.
To report an immunization, please call us or submit the record electronically.