For some, being an older adult can be a difficult time. Loss of a loved one, less income, and poor health are a few things that can make an older adult more dependent on another person.
Elder abuse, often referred to as the hidden crime, comes in many different forms.
There is no excuse for taking advantage of any person who is dependent on someone. The person causing the abuse usually has some control over the older person and may or may not be a caregiver of family member of the older adult.
Examples of elder abuse include:
- physical abuse
- sexual abuse
- emotional abuse
- deserting someone who needs you
- taking advantage of someone else’s finances
Is anyone taking advantage of your good nature?
- The Chatham-Kent Police
- Ontario Provincial Police
- Community Care Access Centre
- Family Service Kent
- Chatham-Kent Health and Family Services
- Your health care provider
Call the Ontario Network for Prevention of Elder Abuse for more information or call the Seniors Safety Line at 1-866-299-1011
Elder Abuse is a complex problem we all need to be alert for
- Chatham City Police 519-352-1234
- Ontario Provincial Police 1-888-310-1122
- Community Care Access Centre 519-436-2222
- Chatham-Kent Health and Family Services 519-351-8573