Employment Insurance & Disability Support
There are several government programs that provide support for workers who have lost their jobs or who cannot work as a result of illness and disability. Employment Insurance (EI) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) are two of the most commonly used programs.
Employment Insurance (EI)
Employment Insurance is for people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, or cannot work because of significant qualifying reasons. You may also be able to receive EI if you can show proof of 'just cause' for leaving your job.
There are five types of Employment Insurance benefits available to Canadians, depending on their situation.
- Regular Benefits – for those who have lost their job through no fault of their own
- Maternity and Parental Benefits – for those out of work as a result of pregnancy, a recent birth, or caring for a newborn or newly adopted child
- Sickness Benefits – for those unable to work because of sickness, injury, or quarantine
- Compassionate Care Benefits – for those caring for a family member who is ill with a risk of death
- Fishing Benefits – for qualifying, self-employed fishers who are actively seeking work
Eligibility requirements vary according to location. To find the eligibility requirements for EI in Chatham-Kent, click here and submit your Chatham-Kent postal code. You may also learn more about EI at Settlement.org.
To apply for EI, you may submit an application online or visit one of our local Service Canada offices in Chatham or Wallaceburg.
Disability Support (ODSP)
For people with disabilities in need of financial support, the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) is an alternative to EI. This is available for people with disabilities and people who require assistance in order to work. This program has two parts: Income Supports and Employment Supports.
To apply for ODSP, bring an application for to a Chatham-Kent Ontario Works location (listed below).
- Chatham-Kent Ontario Works
435 Grand Avenue West
- ODSP Chatham Local Office
1023 Richmond Street West